1. Aesthetic dentistry specialties
- Dental bleaching is a technique that allows us to recover and even extend the natural colour of our teeth, by removing its stains.
- The closure of dental spaces (diastema), contributes to a better aesthetic expression and prevents food and plaque accumulation in areas of difficult access during our daily hygiene, thus preventing further dental diseases.
- The dental veneers (of composite or ceramics), allows us to cover a tooth´s surface or extend it resulting from a bad aesthetic expression, as a consequence of a partial fracture, incorrect positioning, or uneven discolourization.
- Aesthetic treatment of gummy smile: There are aesthetic solutions addressed to maintain a correct proportion between teeth, gingiva and lips.
2. Frequently asked questions about aesthetic dentistry.
Teeth with stains or darkened: With time, due to external aggressions, our teeth´s enamel gradually deteriorates resulting in darker or/and stained teeth from a variety of factors such as tobacco, wine, tea, coffee, chocolate, spinach, etc…
Secondary effects of dental bleaching: there are no known contradictions to the teeth whitening regarding our oral health. On some occasions, it can cause an increased sensitivity during the first days while bleaching.
Effects and duration of the dental bleaching: After treatment, the effect is immediate and to maintain the results, only a small annual whitening touch up treatment is required.
Solution for spaces between teeth: Through the placement of a resin composite, excessive inter dental space can very quick and easily be closed.
3. Dental bleaching
Dental bleaching consists in the elimination of extrinsic and intrinsic stains accumulated over time on the surface of our teeth.
By the usage of a safe chemical product, we are able to change the stain`s molecular configuration, thus eliminating the component responsible for the darker colouration of our teeth
External dental bleaching
- By a chemical product in contact with the tooth outer surface, it clears up the teeth colour/tone.
Internal dental bleaching
- Teeth with fracture or trauma may darken due to nerve necrosis.
- The internal bleaching helps to remove these dyes, henceforth restoring a lighter shade for a uniform and harmonious smile.
4. Diastema (dental spaces) closure
Sometimes teeth may move or the gums retract, thus causing the appearance of black spaces between our teeth.
The closure of diastemas with adhered materials (composites) aims to close those spaces that can be unaesthetic or contribute to food accumulation.
- It is a reversible treatment, which requires an annual maintenance.
- Studies indicate that the closure of spaces between teeth contributes to a healthier gingiva and a more harmonious smile.
5. Dental Veneers
- Composite veneers consists of a material that adheres perfectly to the tooth surface masking a badly positioned tooth, a smile asymmetry, small fractures, or teeth with unaesthetic colourization.
- It is a minimal invasive treatment, with other aesthetic proprieties and very predictable. Requires maintenance by the patient and the dentist.
- It is a reversible treatment.
- These veneers are ceramic laminates that adhere to the teeth.
- Allows to change teeth positioning, shape and colour, which define our smile.
- Requires a minimal tooth preparation, but the result is highly aesthetic.
- It is an irreversible treatment.
6. Gummy smile
An attractive smile has to maintain a proper ratio between the teeth, gingiva, and lips. These three smile components must be in harmony.
Some people suffer a change in the desired proportion between teeth and gums, or a gingival margin asymmetry. The clinical term a gummy smile, refers to when we show more than 3 mm of our gingiva while smiling.
When we find ourselves with shortened teeth, usually square, resulting from excess gingiva covering the surface of the tooth´s crown, the procedure for a dental crown enlargement involves the removal of the excess gingival (gingivectomy).
With this treatment we are able to restore the teeth´s original height and thus a harmonious smile. The results are immediate.